Sunday, February 11, 2007

Lester McCumbers; Nicut, W.Va.


January 27 Jay Best, Josh Wanstreet, and I went down to Nicut for a visit with fiddle player Lester McCumbers. Kim Johnson, his regular banjo player, met up with us there. Lester was playing great and we had a wonderful day. I shot a couple hours of video, including quite a bit with Lester playing in G cross. I haven't edited yet, but I'm pretty sure he played a couple tunes that I had not taped before.

And, finally, I got a nice photo. I've been just not quite getting it for so long that I was started to get frustrated. Oddly enough, after Jay and I swore allegiance to film the night before, I bailed out on my Leica (with Tri-X ) and switched to my point and shoot digital camera. It was far from perfect for the situation, but the combination of color, autofocus, and greater depth of field made the difference this time.

No comments: