Sunday, January 28, 2007

Booger Hole?

West Virginia has produced a dazzling number of great fiddle players; you'll meet many of them here. Pictures, video, and audio files will be a regular feature.

I was lucky enough to get to know Wilson Douglas (Clay County) just as I was starting to play the fiddle and I learned from listening to and watching Wilson. The Douglas farm where Wilson grew up was on a hill above Rush Fork hollow. At one time this area was infamous as a rough and tumble region noted for wild and strange occurances. You won't find it mentioned on your road map, but that is the place called Booger Hole.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was just a small boy around five years of age my parents along with my Aunt adn Uncle and there son who was the same age as myself spent the winter cutting mine posts we all stayed in an old celler that had a cellertop that was to rickety explor the celler was big enough for two beds and a wood stove I can remember sitting in the floor cracking black walnuts

Anonymous said...

I had lots of relatives in Booger Hole. It was a fun place by day, and a scary place by night. I remember once, when I was very young, we stayed at my Grandpa's house in Booger Hole. I was sleeping with my mother. As we were getting ready to go to bed, a strange, bright light came out from beneath the bed. I was too scared to look underneath the bed. I just brought the covers up over my head, and stayed like that until I fell asleep. I have heard lots of stories growing up of strange things happening in the old house. Even today, there is no way I would stay in that house by myself.